How To Immigrate To Canada As A Skilled Worker From Nigeria

Moving to Canada to work is a dream comes true for most Nigerians.

It’s possible if you’re able to successfully complete the Canada visa application online and receive the work permit to work in Canada. Depending on your citizenship from other countries, you can migrate to Canada as a skilled worker or professional.

Canada accepts approximately 250,000 immigrants from other countries around the world each year. Among the people most in demand in Canada are the skilled workers and professionals. They are citizens of other countries who have a bachelor’s degree and an advanced level of expertise in their chosen skilled occupation.

People that apply under the skilled workers immigration program are competent in at least one of the country’s official languages, English and French. This will show they are comfortable working in any sector if employed in a career of their respective line of work on arrival to Canada.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will consider your application for skilled worker immigration when you meet these conditions:

Are you eligible to apply? You may meet the requirements when you have a strong job offer. It’s also possible to apply if you are already in Canada or if you live in Canada as an international student. You can still apply if you not have a job offer, but have a minimum of one year experience in the same line of occupation you would like to have in Canada.

If you need to apply with your previous work experience in a chosen category, visit the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada to verify your job category is included in the website among the entitled categories. Your experience must be at least one year.

Be sure to pass the self-assessment test online. The immigration officer will assess your application after going through your educational qualifications and job experience.

Download the permanent residency forms found at CIC website. Fill them by following the instructions given carefully.

Do you have the needed funds to support yourself? At this time, if you are to come alone, you need to show proof that you have at least $11115 CAD in cash.

You will need more money for each dependent member of the family you want to bring together with you. The CIC website will reveal the exact amount of money you will need.

You need to pay the application fees with a certified check, bank draft or money order payable in Canadian dollars and addressed to the ‘The Receiver General for Canada”. You may also pay by credit card. The application form fee is currently at $550 CAD per person on the application.

Send your completed application form with all the necessary documents and the payment to “Citizen and Immigration Canada, Federal Skilled Worker, Centralized Intake Office, PO Box 7500, Sydney NS, B1P0A9, Canada.”

You will also need to submit police certificates from all the countries you’ve lived in not less than half a year (6 months) after the age of 18. You don’t need to submit them before the application, although it is highly encouraged.

However, sometimes it’s preferable to wait and submit them at the end provided the police certificates are valid for twelve months and also the application process might be longer. So, even if you do submit them, you may be required to submit new ones!

You also need to pass the medical requirements meeting 2 criteria. First one, you are to have no conditions threaten the Canadian public. The second reason is to own any condition that is to be excessively demanding on the Canadian healthcare system. It’s worth noting that your medical exam has to be conducted by the doctor on Canada’s list of designated doctors.

Keep in mind that the processes take time that varies depending on the country you may be applying from. The CIC website lists estimated wait periods by visa office locations. Once an applicant is approved, you will need to pay right of permanent residence fee which is $490 CAD per person.

Once you’re given your immigration visa, it’ll be valid for a limited time. You will have to visit Canada before it expires or you lose it! If you have to tie loose ends before you prepare yourself to arrive in Canada, that’s perfectly okay, however, you’ll need to visit Canada, and get your permanent residency card, and after that go back to tie your loose ends!

Type of Jobs/career accepted by Canadian Government:





Physicians (any type)

Nurse Practitioner

Lawyers etc

Just think about those jobs/careers that are high in demand and you can always visit the CIC website to find out if your job qualifies you to work in Canada.

Do you have anything else to add to this article? Leave your comment below.



One Response

  1. John Delano September 14, 2017

Leave a Reply