How to Get a U.S Green Card Through Investment

How to get a green card is often the question you hear a lot from many Nigerians. Of course, there is nothing like U.S green card lottery and the U.S immigration is strict when you think about applying for a U.S.A visa in Nigeria.

American lottery or DV lottery is not a thing the country (Nigeria) is allowed to submit an entry anymore, thus many people in this country are frustrated every day.

However, getting an American green card is possible, even without an immigration lawyer or through a green card marriage. If you need a green card for yourself or family, read on to find out how you can get that if you have the money.

The normal requirement of getting a U.S. green card according to investment in a U.S. business is $1 million. However, the amount of money with the investment might be reduced to $500,000 under specific conditions, namely if the business is located in a rural area or even in an urban area having a high unemployment rate. How high? It must be at least 150% from the national average.

Some state governments will identify the parts of that particular state/area that are considered high in unemployment, and definitely will send U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) a summary of which locations qualify.

What if the intended investors know part of the U.S. which they would like to invest has a higher unemployment, but it’s not on the USCIS list? You can submit a letter from an authorized state agency confirming that the location of the business may be designated an increased unemployment area.

You may also contact the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistic’s Local Area Unemployment Statistics (LAUS) office to get your hands on one of its published technical bulletins showing the unemployment rate in that area. USCIS will likely accept other statistical documentation, if it’s from your reliable source.

Rural areas are understood to be any location outside of the official metropolitan statistical area or the outer boundaries of any city populated by 20,000 or more people.

It comes with an EB-5 visa designed for investors within a “regional center.” To attract in investment, virtually all regional centers are employed in rural or high-unemployment areas, so that the minimum investment is held at $500,000.

Regional centers are designated by USCIS, but run privately, and work to promote economic growth through increased export sales, improved regional productivity, new job creation, and increased domestic capital investment. For example, real estate development projects, such as office and retail developments, shops, and resort hotel developments, are popular projects for regional centers.

Investors in regional centers do not need to prove that they themselves provided new jobs for ten U.S. workers, instead show only that the regional center created ten or higher jobs, directly or indirectly, or it increased regional productivity.

Some immigration attorneys report that regional centers offer probably the most desirable methods to pursue an investor visa, since they allow a wealthy investor to produce a cash investment without creating or managing a new enterprise.

The key, however, is to be sure that you are registering with a highly-managed regional center. The real fact that USCIS has designated the center doesn’t protect the investor from potential risk of losing in investment.

Before you make a move to invest, you must confirm through the regional center that it’s operating in a rural or high unemployment area to confirm that your $500,000 will qualify you for the EB-5 visa.

And keep in mind the regional center program is not permanent. It’s going to end on September 30, 2016, unless Congress votes once more to renew it (just like they did in late 2015).

Eligibility Criteria

You may be eligible to receive permanent residence depending on investment if:

  • You have an approved Form I-526, Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur
  • You’re admissible to the United States
  • An immigrant visa is immediately available

Application Process

If You Are Living Outside the United States

It is possible to become a permanent resident through consular processing living outside the USA. Consular processing occurs when USCIS works with the Department of State to issue a visa on an approved Form I-526, Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur, petition when a visa is available. For additional info on consular processing, visit the Consular Processing page.

If You’re Living in the U.S.A

You can become a conditional permanent resident through adjustment of status living in the United States. As soon as the Form I-526 is approved and a visa number can be obtained, you’ll be able to submit an application for conditional permanent residence on Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. To find out more about this, you can visit the Visa Availability & Priority Dates and Adjustment of Status pages.

Supporting Evidence for Form I-485

You will have to submit the following evidence/documentation with your application:

  • Two passport photos
  • Form G-325A, Biographic Information, if you are between the ages 14 and 79 yrs . old
  • Copy of government issued photo identification
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Copy of passport page with non-immigrant visa (if applicable)
  • Copy of passport page with admission (entry) or parole stamp (if applicable)
  • Form I-94, Arrival/ Departure Record (if applicable)
  • Certified copies of court record (if you have been arrested before)
  • Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
  • Applicable fees
  • Your approval notice for Form I-526 (Form I-797)

Family of Entrepreneurs

Your husband or wife and unmarried children below the age of 21, (known as derivatives) can be included on your own immigration petition. If they are residing in the USA, they’ll each have to file a Form I-485. They count towards the annual cap of allowed 10,000 visas

Work & Travel Authorization

Generally, when you have a pending Form I-485, it’s possible for you to make an application for authorization to work in America and also to seek advance parole (advance permission to travel and become admitted to the USA upon your return). For more information, visit the Employment Authorization Document and Travel Documents pages.

If you have any questions, you can leave your comment below. We’ll be glad to provide an answer to you as soon as possible.




  1. Sandra September 30, 2016
    • SEO Guru September 30, 2016

Leave a Reply