How to Get A Student Visa to the USA in Nigeria

In my previous articles, I have written how you can apply for admission in USA universities from Nigeria, and 6 reasons why you’re denied a student visa in Nigeria.

I have been receiving questions from those that read the articles, the question was what type of visa you need to study in the United States of America. If you missed those articles, you can find them below.

Today, I will be talking about the type of visa you’ll need in Nigeria to enable you study in the U.S universities of your choice.

A student visa is required for anyone from Nigeria seeking a university degree in the U.S, whether it is for High school or completing a graduate course in most of the colleges or universities in the United States of America.

Foreign students coming to the U.S must complete the specified documentation and paperwork before enrolling in any academic courses and must fulfill each of the requirements of America student visa.

For those students who would like to study in America, there are 2 non-immigrant visas available with the US consulate. These are basically categorized as F and M visas.

The F-visa is offered to non-immigrant students that will enroll as a member of language programs or any other academic degrees. The M-visa is available to those foreign students who wish to pursue a vocational degree by enrolling themselves in the type of courses available in the U.S University of their Choice.

Regardless of the student visa that you’re seeking for, the requirements for eligibility are still the same. To start with, you have to pick the schools in America that you are eligible for according to your academic profile and grades.

If you are accepted by the school, you will receive the SEVIS I-20 or Certificate of Eligibility. You need to have this in order to receive a student visa.

However, if you’re already in America and also have another visa, you should file for a change in visa status in the U.S consulate office nearest to your city.

In case you are in your home country, Nigeria and have not entered the U.S, you will be required to apply for the F-1 visa or perhaps the applicable student visa to the U.S Consulate in Nigeria (in this case your home country). You need to provide to them the following documents in order to be issued a student visa:

– Your SEVP certification/Student and Exchange Visitor Program

– Financial statements that prove you can pay your tuition and then for any living expenses

– Your TOFEL score, which shows your English language proficiency level

Additionally, you’ll need to prove that you anticipate returning back to Nigeria after completing your education and attaining your degree or certification in the academic or vocational program you’ve enrolled yourself in for.

If you finally find your way in the United States, you will be required to file a Form I-94. This tracks your entry and departure from the U.S, and that is given an admission number.

This unique admission number must be placed on the form I-20 during the time of the immigration processes. On the U.S student visa, you are required by law to keep the I-20 ID, this serves as a record of your legal entry to the country and also it is proof of your visa status.

It’s important to keep the I-20 ID secure for your legal status is dependent upon this document. If you should return to your house country (Nigeria) on holiday or leave America for a short period of time, the visa regulations will require you to fill another new Form I-94.

In regards to the M-1 student visa, you are allowed to file for an extension period after two years. However, if you hold an F-1 visa, you are allowed to apply for an extension provided you are still a student and the university or college DSO grants an extension to complete your education.

You will be required to submit all of the required documentation and file the applicable paperwork with the U.S Consulate.

In conclusion

Keep in mind that the reason student visas are issued to you is that the prospective student (YOU) has proven to the United States that you have enough money to pay for tuition fees and live in the USA.

This opportunity should not be used as a way of getting a visa to simply migrate to the United States and withdraw from your enrollment in the university. Any mistake or lapse by you can contradict your odds of being eligible for student’s visa to USA.

However, there are a few exceptions in allowing a student to work such as on-campus job (work study) with 20 hours every week as well as other kinds of internships.

Also, there are many immigration attorneys that should be able to assist you with the process, if you’ll need one.

Do you have anything else to add to this article? Leave your comment below

Leave a Reply