In an age where everything from education and shopping to research and entertainment has been made digital, there is a major need for organized and reliable data storage centers.
These come in the form of website hosting services. Companies that offer this service own servers which are divided into spaces that are leased or sold to website owners that allow them to access the internet as well as to store and retrieve their data.
One of the most popular hosting methods is cloud hosting. Cloud hosting basically refers to use of virtual servers to host websites and allow clients to gain internet connectivity. The virtual nature means that there is no specific physical server, but instead an imaginary one created through a complex connection between several physical servers.
Compare cloud hosting and other conventional hosting methods
Other popular methods of website hosting include grid hosting, colocation hosting, dedicated hosting, reseller web hosting and virtual web hosting. Cloud hosting is one of the newest of these methods and differs from them in a number of ways. These include:
- Traditional hosting methods use direct connections to physical servers, whereas cloud hosting makes use of virtual servers created by a network of different physical servers.
- Unlike traditional hosting methods, cloud hosting offers a decentralized approach reducing reliance on one single center.
- Cloud hosting offers clients’ real time service with no delays, unlike traditional hosting methods where the server is shared.
- In traditional hosting methods, the client pays for a specific space on a server, whereas in cloud hosting payment is based on storage and processing power used.
- Cloud web hosting allows the client to add or upgrade servers in their network for different work speeds. This is referred to as scaling and is not possible with traditional methods.
How well does cloud hosting perform?
Cloud web hosting rarely ever disappoint its users and boasts of very high- performance levels. This is achieved through the decentralized and flexible nature of the hosting services. It allows clients real-time access to data storage facilities as well as internet connections.
The high performance seen in cloud hosting is also due to the fact that there are more resources available to the user due to the use of a network of servers instead of a single server.
Advantages of cloud hosting
- Cloud hosting is reliable due to its decentralized nature. This means that even if one of the servers in the network stops working the client will not be greatly affected.
- Cloud hosting offers scalability where the client can alter speeds and power of processing by changing servers in the network.
- It is a highly cost-effective web hosting method as the client pays as they use instead of paying for space whether or not it is utilized.
- It is a low maintenance method as it uses virtual servers.
- Cloud hosting is easy to user-friendly interfaces and high-performance levels.
- It is customizable to suit the client’s specific needs.
- Cloud hosting is a great way to back up your data as it is safe from physical harm, unlike traditional methods.
What is Cloud hosting Prevalence?
The use of cloud hosting has become common practice in many offices and homes today. A study by Cisco Global shows that about 38-42% of web hosting as of 2013 was cloud computing. The reliability and high performance are sure to see this number rise with time.
After all is said and done, cloud hosting as a web hosting method is one to look out for as a major competitor to traditional methods in now and in future.