For an international student from Nigeria, one of the toughest hurdles to overcome for admission into a good American university will be the TOEFL or even the IELTS exam. The TOEFL and IELTS are tests designed to determine the speaking, reading and listening skills of the student in English.
An adequate score of these tests is English language minimum entry requirement for admission into most universities in the USA.
There are several international students from non-English speaking backgrounds like Nigeria, who may have had almost no training in the language and don’t have the amount of English proficiency to qualify for TOEFL or the IELTS tests.
As a result of these from students, it will be difficult to gain admission in an American university as a lot of the universities request a TOEFL/IELTS score a mandatory requirement.
So, the question that international students like you struggle with is whether a TOEFL/IELTS score is certainly required for admission in all universities in the USA.
For Nigerian students who wish to study in the United States of America, there are many universities in USA that do not need the minimum English language requirement so that eligible international students can enroll for admission for a university degree.
In this universities, TOEFL/IELTS scores are certainly not compulsory for admission. There’s also some universities that exempt the international students from producing a good TOEFL/IELTS score if they attended graduate high school or/and graduate school with English as his or her medium of instruction, or when they have successfully completed a couple of years of studies in an English speaking country.
Some universities also grant an admission to non-English speaking international students “conditionally”. That’s if they can take the Intensive English Language Program (IELP), which is the university preparatory program that trains the international students and equips them with the primary English skills needed to speak English frequently.
Below, you will find some universities to help you get admission in the USA without you providing an IELTS or TOEFL score:
1) California State University: The California State University is a public university system in California. For admission in this university, international students need not to bring a TOEFL/IELTS score if you have attended school or/and graduate school with English as your medium of instruction. In addition, there are a few countries for whose students they’ve waived the minimum English requirement.
2) Drexel University: Drexel University is a private research university with campuses in Philadelphia and California. Drexel University has two conditional admission programs i.e. University Preparation Summer Program (UPREP) and Bridge Program for international students who don’t meet the language requirement.
3) New York State University: The State University of the New York is another public university system in Albany, NY. The university grants admission to international students as long as they undertake the Intensive English Language Program (IELP).
4) University of Iowa: The University of Iowa is a public research university located in Iowa City, Iowa. The university grants admission to students who’re eligible for admission but don’t meet the English proficiency requirement.
5) University of Arkansas: The University of Arkansas is a great public research university located in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Eligible international students don’t need to produce TOEFL/IELTS scores instead they should undertake the Intensive English Language Program (IELP).
6) University of Dayton: The University of Dayton is another private Roman Catholic national research university based in Dayton, Ohio. The university grants conditional admission to international students who are eligible, but cannot fulfill the university’s language requirement. They are required to undertake the Intensive English Language Program (IELP).
7) University of Delaware: The University of Delaware is a public university situated in Delaware. The university will admit international students who are eligible for admission with the exception of English proficiency exams like TOEFL.
8) University of New Orleans: The University of New Orleans is a public urban university located in New Orleans, Louisiana, US. The university offers conditional admission for international students with secondary education or degrees from a certain countries.
In conclusion, these are just examples of university that can offer you admission in the United States of America without TOEFL. It’s left for you to decide whether you would like to take TOEFL now or take IELP when you’re at the university.
Again, we’re here to answer any questions you may have, do not hesitate to ask your questions by using the comment section below.
Good luck with your education.
Graduateshotline contributed to this article