Most International students who visit my blog have been asking about how to get law school scholarships to study abroad. Law scholarships are important if you’re been offered admission in University in abroad that do not offer scholarships to international students.
Whether you are planning to study law at undergraduate level, graduate level, or simply want to know the types of scholarships available worldwide for international students before you begin to apply to law schools abroad; you’ve come to the right place!
There are many law school scholarships available through online applications. Normally, an official written application to some law school can do, followed by an interview from the school. Gathering the correct resources to locate grants or scholarships will require a lot of research, therefore, it may be quite time intensive. In most cases, you’ll be able to apply directly to the law school you’re applying to study for financial assistance.
The total cost of studying at a law school can add up easily to $50,000 annually, which includes the tuition fees, course expenses, boarding and many more. It’s extremely difficult to support yourself independently throughout the studies.
It’s a challenge to most foreigners abroad; however, there is some you may receive grants to conclude education. There’s a limited amount of scholarships and grants a university can give to prospective students. Obtaining financial assistance from the university is very competitive and quite limited. The end result is that prospective students consider other resources for support.
Take a look below at the collection of the scholarships available today to law students all over the world, and click the links to learn more.
Law scholarships to study anywhere in the world
- Erasmus+ Joint International Doctoral Degree – Scholarships for international students seeking funding to study law, science or technology at PhD level at European universities. Please note that the 2017-2018 applications round will have different rules and fellowships (full details announced February 2017).
- FUNED Scholarships for Mexican Students– Graduate law scholarships for Mexican students enrolling on a master’s program at a leading university in the top 200 of the QS World University Rankings® anywhere in the world. (Information in Spanish).
- HM Hubbard Law Scholarship – Law scholarships for trainee and qualified solicitors in the UK to undertake further study in France, Spain or Canada.
- Law Foundation Graduate Scholarships – Scholarships for law students pursuing a graduate degree in law or a related subject to study at recognized universities in Canada, the US and elsewhere. To be eligible, you must be from British Columbia (Canada) or have graduated from a law school there.
- MENZIES Foundation Scholarships – Scholarships for Australian citizens to gain funding for postgraduate study in international law.
Law scholarships to study in Australia & New Zealand
To study in Australia:
- Equity Scholarships Scheme @ QUT – Need-based scholarships at Australia’s Queensland University of Technology, available to students of all levels studying law, business, education, health, science or engineering.
- Juris Doctor (JD) Scholarship for International Students @ UNSW – Law scholarships for international students undertaking the JD program at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Australia.
- Master of Laws (LLM) Scholarship @ UoN – LLM scholarships for domestic and international students enrolling at the University of Newcastle, Australia on the Master of Laws program. The school also offers a similar scholarship for the JD program, detailed here.
- Postgraduate Scholarships @ University of Sydney – Various scholarships for students of all study levels enrolled at the University of Sydney’s Law School.
- TC Beirne School of Law Masters Scholarships @ UQ – Need-based LLM scholarships for students enrolling on the LLM or Master of International Commercial Law program at the University of Queensland in Australia.
To study in New Zealand:
- Auckland Law School Postgraduate Scholarships – A range of scholarships to study law at postgraduate level at the University of Auckland in New Zealand. There are also undergraduate scholarships.
- Ethel Benjamin Scholarship – Law scholarships funded by the Law Foundation for New Zealand women to study law in New Zealand at postgraduate level. A similar scholarship is available at the Victoria University of Wellington.
- The New Zealand Law Foundation Doctoral Scholarship – Scholarships for Kiwi PhD students to carry out research in a defined area of the law for the benefit of New Zealand and its legal system.
Law scholarships to study in Europe
To study in Germany:
- DAAD Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance (PPGG) – Postgraduate scholarships for students from countries in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia and the Middle East, to undertake a master’s degree in public policy at a participating German university. Applicants should have studied a related undergraduate degree (e.g. law, economics or politics) and should intend to use their qualification within their country of origin.
- Max Planck Society Research Scholarships – Doctoral and postdoctoral law scholarships for doctoral students and researchers to study law in Germany.
To study in the Netherlands:
- Amsterdam Law School Merit Scholarships @ UvA – LLM scholarships for students to gain funding for study law at master’s level within the University of Amsterdam’s Faculty of Law. Applicants should already hold an LLB degree.
- Scholarships @ University of Groningen – Two €12,000 scholarships are available for undergraduate non-EU students studying an undergraduate liberal arts/sciences program at the University of Groningen (including the LLB).
To study in the UK:
- Dickson Poon Undergraduate Law Scholarship Programme @ King’s College London – Undergraduate scholarships for law students studying at the Dickson Poon School of Law, King’s College London. King’s also offers a law scholarship solely for Nigerian students, detailed here.
- Henry Arthur Hollond Studentship in Law @ University of Cambridge – Studentship for an enrolling student on the LLM program at the University of Cambridge’s Trinity College. (Scroll down the page to view full scholarship details).
- John Bloom Law Bursary – UK scholarships for students looking to pursue a law degree at a recognized UK university. Available to UK citizens with financial need only.
- Law School Scholarships and Grants @ UCL – Various undergraduate scholarships for law students studying at UCL (University College London) in the Faculty of Laws.
- LLB Scholarships @ University of Birmingham – Various law scholarships and grants for domestic and international students to study the LLB (Bachelor of Laws) program at the University of Birmingham’s Law School.
- Margaret Bennett Scholarship for African Women @ LSE – LLM scholarships to study the Master of Laws program at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), open to female students from Africa (preference given to students from North Africa).
- Postgraduate Law School Funding @ QMUL – Scholarships for law students undertaking the LLM, MSc or PhD programs at Queen Mary University of London’s School of Law.
- Taught Postgraduate Scholarships @ University of Kent – Various postgraduate scholarships for students studying the Taught LLM program at the University of Kent.
Law scholarships to study in North America
To study in Canada:
- Schulich School of Law Scholarships @ Dalhousie University – Various law school scholarships to study at Dalhousie University.
- Master’s Scholarships for International Students @ Laval University – Graduate scholarships for law students enrolling on a master’s degree at Laval University. Open to all international students from Africa or Europe (excluding French students).
- Undergraduate Faculty Scholarships @ McGill University – Various undergraduate scholarships and prizes for bachelor-level law students studying at McGill University.
To study in the US:
- AABA Foundation Scholarships – US scholarships for law students interested in pursuing careers in public interest, for students from the Asia-Pacific and other underrepresented communities in the San Francisco Bay Area. International students are eligible, but must live in the Bay Area.
- ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship Fund – Law school scholarships offered by the American Bar Association (ABA), open to first-year law students at ABA-accredited law schools in the US. Open to US citizens only.
- Arent Fox Diversity Scholarship Program – Scholarships for law students in their first and second year at an ABA-accredited law school in the US. Scholarship winners will receive a $20,000 award and a salaried summer associate position.
- Bradley R Corbett Scholarship – Law scholarships for US citizens offered by defense attorney, Bradley R Corbett.
- Charleston Scholarships – Undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships for law students at universities across the US. Two scholarships of US$1,000 are awarded annually.
- Cores & Associates, LLC National Scholarship – One scholarship of US$1,000 is available to a US citizen or permanent resident who is currently enrolled in a law program in the US. The winner will be chosen based on the insightfulness of their essay.
- Federal Circuit Bar Association Scholarship – Law school scholarships for students pursuing a JD program at an accredited university in the US. Applicants must demonstrate financial need and interest in certain aspects of US law.
- MALDEF Law School Scholarship Program – Law school scholarships for Latino students interested in advancing Latino civil rights in their careers. Open to Latino US citizens studying law at any degree level in the US.
- National Bar Institute Law School Scholarships and Grants – Law school scholarships and grants available to US students enrolled at law school in the US. Funding for African-American and minority students available.
- NYU Law Scholarship Programs @ NYU – Various scholarships for law students undertaking the JD program at New York University (NYU) in the US. Scholarships also cover specializations such as cybersecurity.
- JD Scholarships @ University of San Diego – Various JD scholarships are available for entering students who show academic excellence (such as a strong academic background/LSAT score).
- Law Offices of Randy Collins Scholarship – A merit-based scholarship which is awarded to one student per year who is currently attending (or admitted to) an accredited American law school, college or university at undergraduate level. To apply, you’ll need to complete an essay answering three questions.
- Pew Law Center Scholarship – An award of US$1,000 for one student who is currently attending or enrolled at a US law school or university. You must be a US resident and complete an essay of up to 2,000 words to apply.
Many more law scholarships in the US, from private law firms and external organizations, can be found listed on the University of Notre Dame’s law school website. Another US university listing external law school scholarships is the University of California, Berkeley.
The information on this article was originally published on Top Universities website in March 2015.